Friday, March 15, 2013

Literary Journal #10 - "Last Words to Miriam" by D. H. Lawrence


Last Words to Miriam


Yours is the shame and sorrow,
       But the disgrace is mine;
Your love was dark and thorough,
Mine was the love of the sun for a flower
       He creates with his shine.

I was diligent to explore you,
       Blossom you stalk by stalk,
Till my fire of creation bore you
Shrivelling down in the final dour
       Anguish — then I suffered a balk.

I knew your pain, and it broke
       My fine, craftsman's nerve;
Your body quailed at my stroke,
And my courage failed to give you the last
       Fine torture you did deserve.

You are shapely, you are adorned,
       But opaque and dull in the flesh,
Who, had I but pierced with the thorned
Fire-threshing anguish, were fused and cast
       In a lovely illumined mesh.

Like a painted window: the best
       Suffering burnt through your flesh,
Undrossed it and left it blest
With a quivering sweet wisdom of grace: but now
       Who shall take you afresh?

Now who will burn you free
       From your body's terrors and dross,
Since the fire has failed in me?
What man will stoop in your flesh to plough
       The shrieking cross?

A mute, nearly beautiful thing
       Is your face, that fills me with shame
As I see it hardening,
Warping the perfect image of God,
       And darkening my eternal fame.


        Maybe this is the reason why so many people dislike D. H. Lawrence. He is not reluctant to say whatever he feels in his mind through his writings. And because he is so attached to the theme of human relationships and shows his agony resulting from them, he is often called a sexist. 
   
        While the poem is constructed with quintets and traditional end rhymes, the theme and the message it carries is quite anti-traditional. Unlike other love poems, Lawrence's use of words and his expressions are extreme and crude. Until it gets to the last stanza, the poem sounds like a complete blame on the narrator's woman, Miriam. I mean, it is pretty unnecessary to name those words or paraphrase the key lines because you can really know what they mean. But once it gets to the last stanza, it becomes clear that the main purpose of the poem is neither blaming Miriam nor discovering the cause of the failure of the relationship, but it is to regret the narrator's inability to continue the relationship, as he puts himself into the position of "shame" and "darken my[his] eternal fame."
 
        To me, D. H. Lawrence is a romanticist rather than a sexist. He is able to throw out his crude emotions on the piece of paper and shape them into order. His genius perfects his poetry in which content and form are united into a finished piece of art. 

1 comment:

  1. agree. he can be romantic in his theme, and maybe even in his style-so intense, such compressed emotion (politically correct or not)

    ReplyDelete