Friday, March 15, 2013

Literary Journal #12 - Their Eyes were Watching God

    First of all, I have to mention that I never thought I would like this book before I read it. Being an Asian kid who only lived in this country for a little over three years, I did not find any connection between an African American woman who lived in early twentieth century and me. But it turned out, that it became one of my favorite books of all time after I finished reading it. Honestly, I did not even want to read the book but I had to read it for my English class at school. Coming back to the States, I first opened the book in Narita Airport in Tokyo, Japan, where I had 4 hour layover. Finishing the book on the plane right before it landed in Philadelphia airport, I felt like time passed by very quick. It was unusual because I abhor flying and become more impatient and bored in airplanes.

    Anyway, the novel is about an African American woman, whose name is Janie, leaves home to find her own life. She marries three men, and after her last husband Tea Cake dies, she comes back home.

    Identity of each individual cannot be defined by other people. In order to discover one's own identity, she/he has to go on a journey (which does not necessarily have to be a physical travelling) and experience the world she/he is surrounded by. I think I could have sympathy towards Janie because I felt I was having a similar journey as a young adult looking for my identity after I left home to live in a completely different environment and be friends with people who speak different language and eat different food in different looking houses.

    It is not an easy task to live a life that one wants to live. Ironically, it often seems easier to pursue the life that other people, instead of ourselves, value. But I always feel like life is a solitary act. Though we might be surrounded by people who we talk to and hang out with all the time, each of us is separate entity that carries different stories and character inside of us. And personal spirit can only grow within us when we admit that our lives are the hurdles to overcome. Often it hurts, but you can discover and appreciate more beauties after you overcome the great obstacles of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment